The G Pen Hyer is a portable e-nail that allows you to take precisely controlled dabs out of any bong, water pipe or other dab rig.
Featuring a powerful, high-capacity battery, the Hyer uses a controller with 5x temperature presets, and magnetically attaches to a large atomizer for taking precisely controlled dabs.
It’s like the bigger, stronger, more powerful version of the G Pen Connect, which we’ve reviewed previously.
It also has an adjustable auto-shutoff timer to control the length of your sessions.
Right out of the box, the Hyer is designed for dabbing cannabis concentrates, but it can also be adapted to vaporize flower using a separate atomizer for dry herb.
Each Hyer order is a full e-rig kit that comes with a hemp travel case. Each order includes the following:
- 1 G Pen Hyer battery
- 1 G Pen Hyer quartz tank for concentrates
- 1 G Pen Hyer concentrates tank cap
- 1 G Pen Hyer tank housing
- 1 G Pen Hyer 14mm male glass adapter
- 1 G Pen hyer power cable
- 1 USB to USB-C charging cable
- 1 dab tool
- 1 hemp travel case
Design & Features
The G Pen Hyer has many awesome features. Here we’ll cover what comes standard right out the box. Then we’ll also cover some details about some additional accessories that are available for the Hyer.
Standard features of G Pen Hyer
Here’s the standard features of the G Pen Hyer:
- Dual-use functionality
- Quartz concentrate tank
- Ceramic herb oven
- G Pen LED interface to indicate battery life, heat setting, and timer
- 5 temperature presets
- Standard kit fits 14mm female joint
- Modular to all glass fittings (10mm/14mm/18mm)
- Long lasting, fast charging battery
- Modular magnetic fittings on caps and power cables
- Audible notifications for power and temperature
- Braided power cable with easy, snap-in magnetic connections
- Fast and pass-through charging (you can use it while plugged in)
- Safe design (insulated tank housing, separate battery and heating element, no exposed coils)
Concentrates tank features
Here’s some details specifically for the included concentrate tank:
- Full Quartz chamber with custom-stamped stainless-steel heating element
- 5 temperature settings between 482℉ (250℃) to 842℉ (450℃)
- Magnetic and anodized aluminum carb cap with dual ceramic airflow insert
- Integrated stainless steel wax tool with two placement settings
- No exposed coil
- Heat up time between 15 to 45 seconds for wax
Additional accessories are available and can be purchased separately.
Hyer dry herb tank
If you want to use the Hyer for vaporizing dry herb, you will need the Hyer dry herb tank.
Here’s some info on the dry herb tank for the Hyer:
- Full ceramic oven with 0.5g capacity
- 5 temperature settings between 356℉ (180℃) to 428℉ (220℃)
- Pre-heated recirculating air intake system
- Anodized aluminum carb cap with integrated airflow
- Heat up time between 16 to 25 seconds for dry herb
- Dry herb tank retails for $49.95
|Materials||Battery and controller: anodized aluminum casing; Dry herb tank: Quartz chamber with stainless-steel heating element; Carb cap: Anodized aluminum with ceramic airflow insert|
|Battery||6000 mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery; pass-through and fast USB-C charging (150 minutes to fully charge)|
|Charging Time||2 hours to reach full charge|
|Heating Time||15-45 seconds|
|Sessions||~30 cycles for wax and up to 50 cycles for herb|
|Temperature Settings||356℉ – 842℉|
How to Use the G Pen Hyer
The G Pen Hyer works for concentrates right out of the box. A dry herb tank and glass adapters to fit the joints of various sized rigs are available though.
Here is the most basic use of the Hyer right out of the box:
- Attach the controller/battery to the atomizer housing using the snap-on magnetic attachments.
- Plug the glass fitting on atomizer housing into any water pipe with a 14mm female joint.
- Load the atomizer up with your cannabis concentrates.
- Hold the power button for 3-seconds to power on/off.
- Select your desired temperature using the < and > buttons (blue is the lowest temp setting at 482F and red is the highest setting 824F).
- Press the power button 2x to start heating and once more to end your session.
I’ve used other e-nails in the past. They’re usually clunky with sloppy, exposed coils, ill-fitting bangers, and cheap controller batteries. The exposed coils make these designs dangerous and the temperature is often hard to regulate.
The G Pen Hyer, on the other hand, is beautifully designed and keeps everything nicely organized.
The magnetic attachments are great. It’s a breeze to snap-on the attachments to connect the controller battery to the atomizer housing. Same goes for the carb cap on the concentrate tank.
If you like taking fat dabs, the included atomizer has a huge quartz dish that’s heated by a steel heating element hidden underneath. No exposed coils means you avoid any risk of burning yourself.
The housing has is fitted with a magnetically attached carb cap. The included dab tools can be screwed into the carb cap for hands free lifting. Again, well thought out so you avoid any danger of getting burnt.
This thing has 5 presets that can take you from baby dabs with super tasty terps to high temps that will rip a lung.
Testing out some dabs
I tend to take tiny dabs because I enjoy a smooth toke and flavor from my concentrates. I find the middle settings, either the 2nd or the 3rd, works well for me.
You can use an adjustable timer to auto-shutoff too. I keep my sessions short, so the lowest setting for for me as well.
Testing dry herb
I think it’s so cool that you can switch from dabbing wax to vaping flower all in the same e-nail. This is the first device of this kind of that I’ve come across. Other vape-to-rig adapters I’ve used are typically just for dabbing wax.
I found that the herb tank works best when you back it full of well-ground up herb. Pack it down down tight.
With the 2nd setting, it heats up the flower enough where I can see the chamber in my rig start to fill with light vape. It actually hits pretty hard without getting so dense and hot that it becomes uncomfortable.
For those with an iron lung or high tolerance, you will probably want to go north of the the 2nd lowest setting. The 3rd and up will probably be your best bet.
Pro tip: When using the dry herb tank, don’t remove the carb cap to clear your hit.
It’s better to pull the entire housing out of the female join rather than remove the carb cap. Depending on your type of rig, inhaling from the chamber can causes a suction that adds back pressure. This build up of pressure can blow your herb right out of the oven if you remove the carb cap.
Trust me, I’ve learned this the hardware.
I’m not sure what the recommended way is to use the carb cap. I’ll have to dig around.
Since this device just came out, I’ll need more time to spend using both the concentrates and dry herb tanks. I’ll report back and update this review I’ve given it a fair assessment.
But so far, this thing rips and I love the design.
I’ll have to revisit this review for a final assessment, but it’s no doubt a great e-nail for dabbing concentrates. The added bonus that it vapes dry herb as well is really cool too.
Price & Where to Buy
Additional glass adapters and accessories sold separately (adapter sizes: 10mm, 14mm, and 18mm male and female).
You may also be interested in the G Pen Connect, which is the smaller and cheaper alternative to the Hyer.
Warranty Information – Backed by a 2-year warranty.